Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On Sale Today: Perspective

I made a commitment to myself when we reopened Mega-Mart to blog every day. This is the fourth blog and I've already missed a day, and as I sat down today I realized I had hit the "maybe I'll write about not knowing what to write about" phase. But, my fellows, keep those hearth fires roaring!

My problem is not that nothing is happening, it's just that nothing is happening that I can write about right now. For example, mini-Mart is still holding out for the absolute perfect time to arrive. And while we, the parents-pending, are content to wait to document their every breath, wiggle and coo, when I sit down to write I start noodling around in all the little stories that I might get to tell about my kid-to-be and I am no longer content to focus on any other time. It's hard to convey the gravitational pull these future imaginings hold (9.8 meters per second squared perhaps?), but out of a sense of misplaced duty, I will try. Imagine you are a groundhog and all of a sudden someone pulls you out of your front door, tells you that you saw your own shadow, and shoves you back inside. You groundhog spouse says, "I wouldn't worry about it too much." But seriously, what would you be thinking about all day?

"But this is not a blog about not knowing what to write," he said defiantly. No. Instead it is a blog about all the things I WILL write. There's nothing like a quick list of blog topic previews to get your mouths watering, so without further ado:


  1. Baby's birth! This is the big one with such awesome highlights like name and weight (and pics!).
  2. My latest art endeavor. I've been working on a portrait series to send out to friends for f-book "sharing is caring" obligations. It might end up on Etsy if it finishes strong.
  3. I am working on a movie script that I should finish this year, there might be some good topics there.
  4. The story of the chair delivery man.
  5. The dreadful tale of IKEA.
  6. Baby achievement blogs.
  7. A blog or two about exactly how stupid Glen Beck is.
  8. A long blog exploring the finer points of my political philosophy.
  9. A review of the last season of Lost.
  10. Photos of some of my favorite Chicago places (in the summer).

...and much more. I know, some of those look like I could have just written them today, but trust me, either the subject isn't ripe yet, or the I'd have needed a few more hours to construct and type it properly.

3 comments:

Caleb said...

If your movie script is anything other than "Buzby, Berkeley and Katrina" then you need to start over because you did it wrong.

Maiasaura said...

ooo, i'm very pumped about the portrait thing! i still need to finish mine too. since you and megan were both on my list, i consider the quilt to count for one and i have another equally awesome project in the works that will count as the other. but it might take a while.
i feel bad that you guys had a bad ikea experience. mine have always been very good and i fear i will love them to the end, no matter what you write about here. i hope we can still be friends.

TaylorStreet said...

I always forget, do I play Busby or Berkeley?