Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Star Wars Kid

In the last post I mentioned that I enjoyed Weird Al's parody of George Michael of Arrested Development.
Since then, it has come to my attention that Al and Arrested Development, a TV show with an apparently endless amount of layers, both were in fact referencing a 2003 Internet phenomenon that Marty and I completely missed.
The Star Wars Kid filmed a video of himself doing Star Wars moves, never intending anyone else to see it. He filmed it at his school's AV club and forgot about it. Talk about the biggest mistake of your life. Months later some kids found it, uploaded it to Kazaa, and within weeks 15 million people had downloaded it and made their own parodies. One site claims there are 106 known parodies. Some edited actual Star Wars footage into it, others made him into a dancer on an iPod commercial. To make matters worse, The San Francisco Giants even played his video to a stadium of people during pauses in the games. Crazy.
This kid, who is French Canadian, had to drop out of high school and get counseling from the embarrassment. His parents sued the kids who released it in the first place and the two parties came to an out of court agreement a few months ago.
What is it about this kid that was worth all the hoopla?
A lot of times, passionate people are mocked because the rest of us are jealous that we can't be as uninhibited as they are. Isn't there a part of us all that would like to video tape ourselves doing Jedi moves, then watch the clip, and try again, this time knowing that we're going to get it right and look tough? This guy had the chance and he took it.
The video is, of course, really embarrassing. He's an overweight, uncoordinated 15-year- old kid who has no sense of martial arts. He even trips on one take. But that isn't what makes a phenomenon. There are plenty of videos of people doing embarrassing things on YouTube. What's really special about this kid is that he is so INTO what he's doing. It's a joy to watch. Look at his face! If you've never seen it before, be sure to watch it with the sound on, so you can hear the wooshing noises he does for effect.
To the Star Wars Kid: Don't listen to the haters, man. Keep on keepin' it real.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is it possible that you two internet nerds have yet to see this spectacular display of saberstaff skills until recently? I didn't know all of that stuff about his having to drop out of school though.

I like the kid's sexy swagger that he has in between takes.

Caleb said...

I can't believe you lived with me and did not understand that AD reference.

Oliver said...

uh-oh, I'm inspired. Make that 107 known parodies...

Oliver said...

I want that parody, not excuses. See my blog.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't put dropping out of high school past him. We nerds can be quite sensitive. As for you two missing out on this, FOR SHAME! I've talked about this in front of you BOTH several times. What's the deal?

P.S. Megan...how about some blog comments, huh? Lord knows I give you your fair share. :P

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. In my day I listened to Allen Sherman, had all his albums, and knew all his great parody songs. He even made top 40 twice with Hello Mudda, and Back at Camp Granada. I still can recite the fifty united states in 1 minute, from wearing out that track of vinyl.

But who ever heard of these guys? Well, gotta run. My calculator needs a battery and its getting too cold to bike to the store.

Anonymous said...

PS

Acorns never fall far from the tree. And they are jealous of maples for it.

Anonymous said...

Coming soon to a theatre near you:
"Revenge of the White Nerd Jedi"