Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Whadda Weirdo

I'm an unabashed Weird Al fan.
Here is a short history of my love affair:
When I was 12 years old I sent him a two page letter--hand-written on notebook paper-- professing my admiration and begging His Weirdness to perform at my middle school. At that time, my music collection consisted of all of his cassette tapes and only of his cassette tapes. Even the hard-to-find, low-budgeted, self-titled first album in which he sings "Another One Rides the Bus" with only his trusty accordian to back him up. It's awesome.
Around the same time, I distinctly remember my mom stifling laughter at me because I insisted to her, with all the conviction of a pre-teen, that "He's a genius! No really!" (In my defense, he did graduate valedictorian at age 16.)
I once bought a CD of Frankie Yankovic's polka music at a garage sale on the off-chance that the two might be related. (They're not. I checked as soon as I got home from said garage sale.)
I've seen him in concert. Twice... Once in adulthood.
UHF is still one of my favorite movies. He found Michael Richards before Seinfeld. Twinkie weiner sandwich anyone?

Me and Al have grown distant in the past few years. I'm a married woman now, you know. Plus I think he lost it for a while. He just wasn't bringing the funny like he used to. (In his defense, his elderly parents both died in a carbon monoxide posioning accident a few years ago. That's gotta suck the funny right out of you. )

But he's back my friends! White and Nerdy is his best work in a long time. I don't know what's better, the reference to George Michael doing light sabor moves in the garage or Donnie Osmond dancing like a fool in the background. Maybe it's when he wrestles with the age old quandry: Kirk or Picard? Marty enjoys Weird Al's glee when he buys a bootleg of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

9 comments:

Caleb said...

There's no shame in appreciating comedy.

Mel Brooks also just returned after taking time off due to death (and illness) of a loved one (Anne Bancroft). Here's to hoping he comes back strong as well.

Anonymous said...

Megan. I have to admit it. You were right those many years ago. Perspicacious even. Al is a genius.
Humor is quite a tool. Ordinarily I can take rap for about two minutes, but I played White and Nerdy for dinner music while I consumed an entire platter of mayonaise sandwhiches in his honor.

Anonymous said...

1)My students looove the Weird Al song, mostly because they like laughing at nerdy white kids.

2) I hope Caleb wasn't implying that Mel Brooks and Al Yankovic are on the same plane of talent or importance.

3) I love that you used to own multiple Weird Al tapes. First time I read the post I was certain it was Marty writing it, because, c'mon, it sounds like Marty's past (and present).

Miss you guys.

Unknown said...

I also thought it was Marty at first, but then I was like, "Marty would have been one of those kids that made fun of Al Yankovic." Glad you brought him around...

Nate said...

I knew all the words to Fat, I Think I'm a Clone Now, and myriad other songs. Do you remember sweet Michelle? She was my high school romance...

Anonymous said...

might as well face it: you're addicted to spuds.

Anonymous said...

1.) Oh, oh, oh, oh oh, oh-or-ree-oh, what's in the middle? THE WHITE STUFF!
2.) Ha ha ha! You said "Star Wars Christmas Special". I've been meaning to ask Grant about that whenever possible...
3.) SUPPLIES!

Megan said...

...and that's why you are all my friends.

Anonymous said...

Megan Dear: I can remember the day of your revelation, your epiphany. My stifled laughter was also followed by enjoying how darling you were. You, Tyler and Stephanie turned me on to His Weirdness. Good comedy is genius and difficult to come by. It shows us the absurb,it's subtle;it's not just a string of 4letter words. Humor sustains us. Before your post, I had seen Al on TV. We're miles apart, but looking up at the same bright star. Miss you.
Love, your mother